Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Snowboarding whiplash

Beaver Creek got 6 inches of great snow on their last day of the season last week, and I borrowed a friend's snowboard and went riding - for the 2nd time in my life. I hit it hard, starting with an ungroomed blue slope. Needless to say, I fell a few times and discovered how painful snowboard falls can be. With both feet strapped together, you just can't recover like you can on 2 skis. On a groomed blue slope I got a lot of speed going and caught my back edge and fell backward so hard I completely flipped over. If I hadn't had a helmet, I'm convinced I would have gotten a concussion. It's a week and a half later now and I'm still sore - in fact I had to visit the chiropractor and he suspects I have whiplash. Looks like I'd better get some practice in before I try for speed again. I hope to get some days in at A-Basin this Spring and do just that!

No comments: