Saturday, January 13, 2007

Pike's Peak Marathon

I've been running for years, and I completed my first marathon - the 2005 Boulder Backroads marathon - with a time of 3:18:25. That's about 7:34 per mile, but 8 minutes and 25 seconds too slow to qualify for the Boston Marathon (for my age group). I finished 47th out of 697 people, which I think ain't too shabby.

But that was all on relatively flat roads. This year, I'm considering running the Pike's Peak Marathon, with an elevation gain of 7815 feet to the summit at 14,110 feet. I remember finishing the Boulder Backroads, exhausted, thinking that it was nuts to run 26.2 miles. But by now, the pain isn't as vivid in my mind, and I'd like another challenge. I've got a few weeks to decide - registration opens on March 1st, and they fill all the slots quickly.

No comments: